Sunday, May 18, 2014

Herro der! It’s been a while

Herro so after a long hiatus, here’re the next round of travel adventures. I will probably sound a little dysfunctional at this point as I sit killing time in the Delhi airport before my final connection to Kochi with 15ish hours of movies, no sleep and the sedentary life of flying wearing me down.

So movies were a big part of my fly time as usual. I’ll drone about those as an appendage to this post.

I’ve become more keenly aware that being a solitary hard ass who listens to music from after security till baggage claim during travel is not actually that cool. Making friends is a much better alternative. Swiss guy whose name I can’t spell or say and occupied 1.25 seats was actually a rather nice man who falls asleep during car rides causing much boredom for his wife. His best friend at home is named Sanjay. Julia goes to Purdue and is studying at the base of Grape Mountain near Venice this semester. And best of all was Chris. He flies to Switzerland a lot and had a baby during his senior year. He gave up being an architect for two part time jobs while studying as an apprentice in some factory. A few decades later he manages North American operations for some robotics company, travels, has ridden a bike around the Swiss Alps, and all-in-all is doing fairly well for himself. That’s Chris. Really hope I run into him again flying somewhere someday.

Also I should mention Switzerland. The view landing and taking off seemed to offer a snapshot of the kind of place I’m visiting. Iowa is a checkered mass of large square fields. Johannesburg had distinctive rows and blocks of housing districts. Indian cities aren’t very tall but extend sometimes beyond the horizon, even when looking from as high as just below the cloud cover. Zurich was beautiful. Even as we approached the city and airport, the landscape held only medium cottage like houses with imprecise patterned small pastures that formed a green mosaic across the land. It was a nice change from urban centers or clean, geometric farms. And the Alps were incredible. They stretched for ages, and I cant even do justice to the view. It would be nice to live on one of the foothills for a few months someday, hiking or skiing on the incredible mountains I saw.

So yea those are my unnecessarily, sleep induced ramblings on the first 24ish hours since I left for this India Europe adventure thingamajig. The travel bug is gnawing its way through, as might be apparent… I’m pretty excited for the next two months.

PS *Warning* Useless movie rambling to follow: So Wolf of Wall Street is quite the graphic movie… like incredibly graphic. Like 3 hours of constant swearing and nudity graphic. Twas a tad beyond my taste but still pretty entertaining. On the other end of the spectrum, I watched Captain Phillips which told the 2009 story of a US freighter being boarded by Somalian pirates. It was really good and seemed to portray both sides of the story, though I make that judgment with no real basis other than the sympathy I felt for some of the pirates at the end. The only annoying point was they included one aggressive pirate who was a fuck and the reason every controlled situation disintegrated to shit, as happens in too many movies. Million Dollar Baby, 12 Years a Slave and The Town were worth. Anchorman 2 managed to sedate me unfortunately. So those are the movie rambles.

PSS I like plane food! And dericious Swiss airport mozzarella and prosciutto sandwiches

PSSS A guard nearby has a golden retriever. The need to pet is so immense.

PSSSS Want to run.


The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment