This place's been pretty crazy with random wedding crap. It was nice to see all thhe family again, especially the gramps. Thatha's pretty much the boss around here. He's still not super active since the surgery so whenever we get a free moment, we all just gather around wherever he's sitting and discuss Tetali family business like some big mob. But most of the time we're just running errands, or shopping, or doing a million other things. Here by tradition, the girls side of the family has to plan and take care of just about everything. That's one of the reasons families hope to have sons. I didn't know but apparently in a lot of states in India, it's now illegal to tell a family the gender of their child cuz of the abortion rates amongst girls. I remember at one point in The Dictator he asked a lady (with his stereotypical Middle-Eastern accent) if the lady was expecting a boy or an abortion... Such a funny but horrible movie.
On that note... like I said our side of the family has to plan for everything. All the guy's side really has to do is come here and get married. I dunno why but my parents' wedding ended up being the complete opposite. For some reason my mom's town wouldn't work for the wedding so Appuppa said he'd take care of the whole thing. My mom and gramps had a hotel and just had to show up for the wedding. My parents were just unorthodox and cuhrayz$y in general :) I mean who needs to fall in love when you can just get your marriage arranged... I have a 29 year old cousin, Prashant, and his parents are looking for matches for him. It's so wierd, yesterday some people we visited mentioned they had a niece around his age and now the families are talking to find out more and see if there's any potential.
Hmm what else... Figuring out where everyone's staying has been a bit of a logic puzzle since we only have so much room, need to put people with others who speak the same languages, and have to plan around people who don't get along anymore... Some of my family is crazy but just great. Random but, I have an uncle who think's he's the punniest person ever. Some of my cousins and I were talking about facebook so he walked up and said, "this generation needs to stop the facebook and start facing the books" and proceeded to crack up. And somehow he manages to come up with these incredibly clever lines on an hourly basis. Or more often... Also my food situation has been alright. Since there's so many people, my aunt hired a cook and a couple of assistants who do a lot of north Indian food. So I've acutally been kinda enjoying the food; so quit yo worrying :) That prolly sounds super fancy but labor is so inexpensive here (it's really sad how cheap it is) that it really doesn't cost a ton to have a full cooking staff. I think that's about it for now, I'll tell ya more later.
On that note... like I said our side of the family has to plan for everything. All the guy's side really has to do is come here and get married. I dunno why but my parents' wedding ended up being the complete opposite. For some reason my mom's town wouldn't work for the wedding so Appuppa said he'd take care of the whole thing. My mom and gramps had a hotel and just had to show up for the wedding. My parents were just unorthodox and cuhrayz$y in general :) I mean who needs to fall in love when you can just get your marriage arranged... I have a 29 year old cousin, Prashant, and his parents are looking for matches for him. It's so wierd, yesterday some people we visited mentioned they had a niece around his age and now the families are talking to find out more and see if there's any potential.
Hmm what else... Figuring out where everyone's staying has been a bit of a logic puzzle since we only have so much room, need to put people with others who speak the same languages, and have to plan around people who don't get along anymore... Some of my family is crazy but just great. Random but, I have an uncle who think's he's the punniest person ever. Some of my cousins and I were talking about facebook so he walked up and said, "this generation needs to stop the facebook and start facing the books" and proceeded to crack up. And somehow he manages to come up with these incredibly clever lines on an hourly basis. Or more often... Also my food situation has been alright. Since there's so many people, my aunt hired a cook and a couple of assistants who do a lot of north Indian food. So I've acutally been kinda enjoying the food; so quit yo worrying :) That prolly sounds super fancy but labor is so inexpensive here (it's really sad how cheap it is) that it really doesn't cost a ton to have a full cooking staff. I think that's about it for now, I'll tell ya more later.
-Sanj
No comments:
Post a Comment