We were real tired so we didn't see a whole lot today (yesterday now). We went to a lot of religious places, mostly cuz the best architecture is usually reserved for temples. The Jami Masjid was in Old Delhi; I think it was built in the Mughal empire so its design seemed primarily functional. Though the place wasn't overly ornate, it was huge so they could have thousands praying at any time. The mosque almost looked like a fort of its own. Sweta was wearing capris so they draped somethin over her. Even guys couldn't wear shorts so it was really funny when tourists would be walking in and the guards would run up screaming in Hindi and wrapping their legs in cloth. The tourists would just stare confused it was great...
We also went to the Akshardham temple I wish I could've taken pictures but they wouldn't let cameras in. The place was crazier than the airport. it was kinda like the compound security in The Kingdom. The whole place was marble and maybe granite. Right when you enter, there's a huge courtyard with amazing gardens. There's a lot of cool flower species in India, if we came here I'd have to make an exception to the white roses for a couple of white lotuses. I'm probably starting to rant, but the temple interior was incredible. The walls were carved with scenes or figures up to the ceiling. And the designs were only a few inches tall so there were hundreds of rows lining each wall. The shrine was at least 3 stories high and even more detailed if that's possible. In a country where resources often seem scarcer than anywhere else, you wouldn't imagine the funds poured into these buildings. The idols in the shrine area were all gold plated and a significant part of the detailing used gems or stones like jade. Every little intricate carving seemed to sparkle.
We're on our way to the Taj Mahal at the moment but it's gonna be hard ot top the Akshardham temple. It's a really long drive to Agra but its been entertaining. The guy taking us goes about 60 mph while everyone else foes 40 or less and the highway is really crappy so we're just bouncing along as we speed past other vehicles. I think my mom's gonna have a heart attack and I'm just enjoying the roller-coaster. That's about it for now, I'll tell you about the Taj Mahal tonight :)
We also went to the Akshardham temple I wish I could've taken pictures but they wouldn't let cameras in. The place was crazier than the airport. it was kinda like the compound security in The Kingdom. The whole place was marble and maybe granite. Right when you enter, there's a huge courtyard with amazing gardens. There's a lot of cool flower species in India, if we came here I'd have to make an exception to the white roses for a couple of white lotuses. I'm probably starting to rant, but the temple interior was incredible. The walls were carved with scenes or figures up to the ceiling. And the designs were only a few inches tall so there were hundreds of rows lining each wall. The shrine was at least 3 stories high and even more detailed if that's possible. In a country where resources often seem scarcer than anywhere else, you wouldn't imagine the funds poured into these buildings. The idols in the shrine area were all gold plated and a significant part of the detailing used gems or stones like jade. Every little intricate carving seemed to sparkle.
We're on our way to the Taj Mahal at the moment but it's gonna be hard ot top the Akshardham temple. It's a really long drive to Agra but its been entertaining. The guy taking us goes about 60 mph while everyone else foes 40 or less and the highway is really crappy so we're just bouncing along as we speed past other vehicles. I think my mom's gonna have a heart attack and I'm just enjoying the roller-coaster. That's about it for now, I'll tell you about the Taj Mahal tonight :)
-Sanj
No comments:
Post a Comment