We got to Kerala yesterday morning and haven't done a ton since then. When I talked to you about how slow paced life here can be, it really holds true here. My dad's been busy visiting friends and family nearby plus there's no crazy wedding anymore so we've slowed down too.
A lot of this time's taken up by my cousin. Ammu kutti's in fifth grade and she's pretty good at coming up with something to do just about every second of the day, it gets pretty exhausting. Plus when we're here I think she makes it her job to make sure we don't have too much free time... I've played a lot of hide-and-seek and uno, watched a couple of movies and followed her many places nearby since yesterday. That and often times, she'll just ask me to lie down so she can tickle attack me. Like I said, tiring but she's a cute little 'un and I usually feel guilty if I don't join along.
Nights/mornings are usually my reprieve and today she's been busy so far and is doing henna with Sweta now. I've gotten to take a look at possible classes for Grinnell and pick a few I might want to take for an adviser letter. I saw aural skills on the list and all I could think of was a class for people who wanted to be aurors. It confused me for the longest time till I looked at the description; it was a class about hearing like for people who want to pursue careers dealing with hearing impairment. It's prolly bad to say this but I was really disappointed. I could've learned all the attack spells and been a cuhraz$y crime fightin wizard but no...
As for Kerala, there's not a whole lot to say. Like I said we haven't done much and I'm pretty used to the surroundings since we used to live here. My uncle did show us the compost generator they installed. They put in all the crap leftover from meals and dump it in and apparently it's saved them a lot of fuel. Instead of replacing their propane tank every month, they can use it for about 50 days now. Plus their yard is it's own little forest with fruits and banana/coconut trees, and the nasty sludge the composter leaves has been a great fertilizer for their plants. It was cool to see.
We've been eating a lot of bananas, just like Andhra Pradesh grows mangoes, Kerala grows coconuts and bananas. That and they eat an unreasonable amount of fish. You would like all the kinds of bananas here. The best are these small red ones that are really sweet and another small kind called eta param which have an odd sweetness I can't really describe and are somehow denser than usual bananas.
Tonight our uncle who lives in Bombay (my dad has two brothers) is coming to town for until we leave. We may also finally get meat, of which I've been deprived almost two weeks now. Even here there's been a string of food poisoning cases so my grandma hasn't made chicken and she doesn't cook beef. But tonight we're probably going to Kaye's, which should be safe. That's my favorite restaurant in Kerala, they have really good biriyani and parotha. I'd probably just be better off explaining what those are to you later.
I almost forgot to mention, I finally got to run this morning! We went to the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium nearby which has a 1 kilometer road going around it. I did 7 laps so about 4 miles... It was pretty bad. I was so glad to finally be running, but these few weeks of doing nothing in the way of exercise and eating have kinda wrecked my fitness. Plus the air was pretty humid, but I made it and it wasn't too slow. Hopefully I'll get to keep running for the rest of the week. I think that's about it, I hope we get to talk tonight :)
-Sanj
A lot of this time's taken up by my cousin. Ammu kutti's in fifth grade and she's pretty good at coming up with something to do just about every second of the day, it gets pretty exhausting. Plus when we're here I think she makes it her job to make sure we don't have too much free time... I've played a lot of hide-and-seek and uno, watched a couple of movies and followed her many places nearby since yesterday. That and often times, she'll just ask me to lie down so she can tickle attack me. Like I said, tiring but she's a cute little 'un and I usually feel guilty if I don't join along.
Nights/mornings are usually my reprieve and today she's been busy so far and is doing henna with Sweta now. I've gotten to take a look at possible classes for Grinnell and pick a few I might want to take for an adviser letter. I saw aural skills on the list and all I could think of was a class for people who wanted to be aurors. It confused me for the longest time till I looked at the description; it was a class about hearing like for people who want to pursue careers dealing with hearing impairment. It's prolly bad to say this but I was really disappointed. I could've learned all the attack spells and been a cuhraz$y crime fightin wizard but no...
As for Kerala, there's not a whole lot to say. Like I said we haven't done much and I'm pretty used to the surroundings since we used to live here. My uncle did show us the compost generator they installed. They put in all the crap leftover from meals and dump it in and apparently it's saved them a lot of fuel. Instead of replacing their propane tank every month, they can use it for about 50 days now. Plus their yard is it's own little forest with fruits and banana/coconut trees, and the nasty sludge the composter leaves has been a great fertilizer for their plants. It was cool to see.
We've been eating a lot of bananas, just like Andhra Pradesh grows mangoes, Kerala grows coconuts and bananas. That and they eat an unreasonable amount of fish. You would like all the kinds of bananas here. The best are these small red ones that are really sweet and another small kind called eta param which have an odd sweetness I can't really describe and are somehow denser than usual bananas.
Tonight our uncle who lives in Bombay (my dad has two brothers) is coming to town for until we leave. We may also finally get meat, of which I've been deprived almost two weeks now. Even here there's been a string of food poisoning cases so my grandma hasn't made chicken and she doesn't cook beef. But tonight we're probably going to Kaye's, which should be safe. That's my favorite restaurant in Kerala, they have really good biriyani and parotha. I'd probably just be better off explaining what those are to you later.
I almost forgot to mention, I finally got to run this morning! We went to the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium nearby which has a 1 kilometer road going around it. I did 7 laps so about 4 miles... It was pretty bad. I was so glad to finally be running, but these few weeks of doing nothing in the way of exercise and eating have kinda wrecked my fitness. Plus the air was pretty humid, but I made it and it wasn't too slow. Hopefully I'll get to keep running for the rest of the week. I think that's about it, I hope we get to talk tonight :)
-Sanj
No comments:
Post a Comment